LIFESTYLE // Pimp My Barrow 2016

Monday 6 June 2016


Hello my lovelies!
This weekend I hopped on a train back to Norwich for the annual Pimp My Barrow (bar) crawl. 10 years ago a couple of UEA students decided to begin a fundraiser for the local charity Big C and now it is an event which sells out every year, ending up with 1000+ students walking around Norwich with a decorated wheelbarrow in tow. I knew I had to take part before I graduated and was lucky enough to get my paws on a group ticket (thanks to a military style operation which ended badly but we got a ticket none-the-less). We decided to have a tropical theme with our wheelbarrow turned into a massive coconut, complete with cocktail umbrella. It was such a fun day with plenty of laughs and I am so glad I got to take part this year. What a way to go out!




Like I said, we had a tropical theme. For us, that meant leis, Hawaiian prints, pineapples (obviously) and a flamingo who didn't stand on one leg once during the day. Everything starts out with a party in the square, costume competition and photos before you head off on a trek via 3 pubs to make sure you stay hydrated and fed during the day.


The event only survives by the good will of the citizens of Norwich and volunteers a plenty. I expect having a bunch of students dressed up in hilarious costumes causing traffic to come to a halt isn't their idea of fun but some people even took their kids to the park where we do wheelbarrow races, or sat outside their house with ice-creams to watch everyone go by (which is lovely, although I did feel like I was part of a carnival and my make-up was not good enough for that!)



Did I mention we had to do a wheelbarrow race? That's right. You put someone in the wheelbarrow and you run 100 meters to the other side of the park. Did we win? No. Did we come last? WE DID NOT (and I have never been prouder).

I treated myself to an Instax Mini 8 camera for getting a first on my Masters thesis and I am so glad I got it in time for this. I know film is expensive but I absolutely adore every photo I took and it was 100% worth the money. It's definitely a special occasion camera but it was amazing watching the photo develop in front of my eyes!


This past weekend has been absolutely marvellous. The sun has been shining, I've met up with lots of friends and eaten lots of food. It's a shame I have to go back to work today but at least I have the memories of this weekend to keep me chirpy! Even better, lots of money was donated to charity and who doesn't want that? If you'd like to donate yourself, just click through here to Big C's website where there is more information on the charity, what they do and how you can donate.

I hope you all had as lovely a weekend as I did!

6 comments :

  1. This looks so much fun, I wanna dress up as a big pineapple now - especially as this weather is making it do-able!
    Bee | QueenBeady.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly was fun! For a fancy dress outfit, it cost me less than £10. Such a bargain so you too can dress up as a giant pineapple.

      :)

      Delete
  2. What a cool event! Looks like you had perfect weather, too. You are one sassy looking tropical lady

    hannatalks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather was glorious - perfect for sipping cocktails on the go!

      :)

      Delete
  3. This seems like so much fun, you look beautiful in that dress!

    www.blossomikebana.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I appreciate every single one of them and will get back to them as soon as I can :)