TRAVEL // Visiting New York (with an iPhone) #2

Sunday 24 March 2019

Hello there,

I'm back with more photos from New York! It's now 1 month since I flew out and wow, that month has flown! I'm not sure how March is flying by but it's petrifying. I want to be walking across the Brooklyn Bridge, eating Shake Shack and trying not to get run over again please? A quick recap - I went to New York for 3 nights with no cameras other than my iPhone and instax mini. Would I regret it? No. Cameras are bulky and my phone is bulky enough thanks.


After an exhausting first day around Central Park, Times Square and Fifth Avenue I decided we needed to venture further afield for day two. We essentially had all day to see as much as we could before going to the theatre in the evening. We started early by getting the subway to Chelsea Market for breakfast, coffee and a little wander around the High Line. 



We went early in the morning for breakfast but I bet Chelsea Market is amazing for lunch. There were so many places but the majority looked closed and it was actually super quiet when we were there. We went to Sarabeth's for some breakfast as it looked like the busiest place there and we weren't disappointed. I had the churro waffles with the yummiest cinnamon caramel sauce and Jack had a turkey sandwich for those GAINS. The food was super yummy and pretty reasonable for New York so I get why we had to queue a little bit.


Just outside Chelsea Market is a Starbucks Reserve roastery. I'd seen Emma Victoria Stokes go a few days earlier and it looked like heaven so couldn't miss it. It was copper everywhere, the smell of fresh coffee and even a few cheeky samples of baked goods. I wanted a surprising amount of merch (including a $21 copper R keyring) but I'm not paying more than $5 for a key ring. They get scratched and I'm not even sorry. After a quick coffee break we walked along a bit of the High Line to get a slightly elevated view of the area and walk towards the Flat Iron building. 



On the way to the flat Iron building we popped into Forbidden Planet. Considering I was expecting Jack to wait in Glossier for an hour, the least I could do was go into a comic book store. It is way, way, way smaller than the one in London which surprised me but we still spent a LONG time in there. We also bumped into an actual celebrity (Dan Fogler from Fantastic Beasts, The Goldbergs and also comic book writing) which was pretty exciting. About a 5 minute walk away was the Flat Iron building which was covered in scaffolding but still a feat to see. Getting the entire building in a photo was almost impossible - how do people do it?! It was then time to get the subway down to Brooklyn for the most exciting thing of the day - crossing the Brooklyn Bridge!!


Finally, after days of waiting I got my first Shake Shack. I've wanted to visit for ages and never had the chance in London so I made sure I got to go in New York. The bacon cheese fries were to die for and the burger was pretty good too. I'm craving those fries so much right now. 


Finally, my inner teenager was screaming because I got to cross the Brooklyn Bridge! It was freezing cold, super windy and not pleasant but it was okay because it's the Brooklyn Bridge. Originally I didn't plan on crossing the entire thing because I wanted to save some time but once I start crossing a bridge I DO NOT STOP. My photos from this part of the trip are probably my favourites. I'm surprised just how well my iPhone camera worked for these shots. Who needs a DSLR when you have portrait mode eh?


Fortunately on the other end of the Brooklyn Bridge is the World Trade Center. We walked around the memorial which was a sobering sight before warming up in the Occulus full of shops we definitely have in the UK. That ceiling though - If I could get one in my flat I would.


Back on the subway and we made our way to the Glossier store. It was on the way to the hotel - kind of - so it was a no brainer really. Prices weren't much cheaper than in the UK (especially on first orders) but I was glad I could see the shades and get opinions from the staff. I got a highlighter, boy brow and balm dot com and I am LOVING them. We then were seriously running out of time so ran into the Canal Street Market for some dinner that wasn't burgers and fries. Jack got ramen and I got a duck wrap and there was so much flavour I couldn't finish it. Now, that's a feat.


Lastly, we came back to Times Square and Broadway to see Avenue Q. I wasn't so impressed by Times Square at night - I preferred it much more first thing in the morning. Having people shouting at me for not acknowledging them talking to me as I'm walking down the street isn't my idea of fun. First thing in the morning when the sun is shining, no one else is around and it feels like the billboards are there just for you - that is infinitely better in my opinion. I digress - Avenue Q was fantastic. After getting a free seat upgrade we were right up the front and it didn't disappoint. It is off-broadway now but it meant tickets were cheaper and we didn't have to wait in super long lines for discounted tickets. We paid $50 for stalls seats and I have no regrets. It might be an old show but the main messages still ring true and I'll always recommend it to anyone who asks.

Alright - so that's the breakdown of my second day in New York. I got a lot done, got very cold but had a great day. 

Have you been to any of these places? Let me know!

Rachael



No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I appreciate every single one of them and will get back to them as soon as I can :)