TRAVEL // A day in Frankfurt

Sunday 10 February 2019


Hello there!

It has been a busy couple of weeks and I've finally found some time to post again. Hurrah! I was lucky enough to visit Germany for a conference on topics that were incredibly relevant to my research and as if by luck - flights meant I got an extra day in Frankfurt. I only had a few hours, but it gave me a taste of the city for sure. 


We got on a train from Kaiserslautern to Frankfurt which took about 90 minutes. It rained the entire way their and, I'll be honest, I was worried we'd just be downing the entire afternoon and have a soggy plane ride home. Fortunately within 30 minutes of us getting to Frankfurt Main the rain stopped and we were happy to walk around for a while.


I was in desperate need of coffee and pretty buildings so we walked about 20 minutes to Römerberg - a market square of gorgeous buildings. There are a few coffee shops filled with delicious pastries and cake and somehow I managed to not pick up one. Once the caffeine had reached my system, it was time to find a museum to wander around as the weather was less than appealing. 

If you know me, you'll know if I find a bridge I'm going to cross it. I found a bridge, I crossed it, I found a museum on the other side. Happy accident. It also gave some lovely views of the city (another personal favourite of mine).


Quite a few museums in Frankfurt are on one street and we struggled to decide which one to go to. I ended up visiting the the Weltkulturen Museum and seeing their exhibition on aging. It was really interactive with videos to watch, music to listen to, poems on the side of every doorway and even a Nintendo Switch with Super Mario. I spent around 2 hours and enjoyed it more than I thought possible. I almost came away with a tote bag I liked it so much.



After all this walking (over bridges) it was time for food and decided on Good Guys. It looked beautiful on the outside and had a lunch deal including a cheeseburger, fries and drink for 11 euros. The service was good, the food was amazing, the price was fantastic and I couldn't stop taking photos. If you're ever in Frankfurt I would definitely recommend it. There is a reason it has an almost 5 star review on Google and Trip Advisor!


Finally it was time to head to the airport (via Uber because it was somehow cheaper than the train), get some expensive German Haribo that I didn't eat all in one day and fly back to the UK. I'm so glad I got to spend the day wandering around a new city. Frankurt wasn't exactly top of my list of places to visit but there is more than enough to do over a weekend if you like food, shopping and museums (so many museums!)

Have you been to Frankfurt? Have you got any tips on where to go? Let me know!


Rachael 

1 comment :

  1. Romerberg looks so pretty - I love old towns that look like that. I grew up near a town with loads of old Tudor style buildings and always loved visiting because it felt like you were in an entirely different museum. Sounds like a really interesting museum - love that they had an iPod shuffle, too. I wish I could find mine out and see what was on it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I appreciate every single one of them and will get back to them as soon as I can :)