TRAVEL // How to spend a day in Bath

Sunday 4 February 2018

Hiya!
It is no secret that I live in one of the most beautiful cities in England (just see my insta okay?). It is a super popular tourist destination that draws people all year round. Not a day goes by that I do not walk past a tourist or 10 walking slowly through the city center whilst I'm rushing to the bus stop because I slept through my alarm for 45 minutes. So, I thought I'd give a list of places you can visit if you ever make your way west.



1. Visit the Roman Baths
I'm not sure how you can go to Bath and not visit the baths. I mean, you could but how could you come to a place called Bath and not visit the massive bath? Really? Anyway, the Roman Baths are right in the center of town (opposite Primark lol) and are a must see if you like history and weird coloured water. I take all of my friends who come to visit and they all enjoy it. I'd suggest it being the first thing you do one morning because the queues get long. Sunday morning as soon as they open has been the best time for me - super quiet and you won't get loads of strangers in your photos!


2. Pulteney Bridge
You might recognise Pulteney and the Weir from the movies. That's right - it was in the recent-ish Les Miserables film! You can go into the park for a small fee if you like but I think you actually get a better photo standing on North Parade. It's not really a thing to do - but a photo you do not want to miss.


3. Get brunch
Take it from me - Bath loves brunch. There are loads of places to choose from and the food is always so good! A few of my faves are Bill's on Cheap Street, Hall and Woodhouse on Old King Street and Boston Tea Party (Alfred St. is bigger but Kingsmead square is closer to town). All three restaurants I have mentioned are beautiful but I'd definitely book a table in advance if you've got your head set on pancakes.


4. Take a wander through The Circus, Royal Crescent and Royal Victoria Park
This is very convenient if you have gone to brunch at either Hall and Woodhouse or Boston Tea Party as they are incredibly close. The Circus is a beautiful circle of terraced houses and flats and is on the way to the Royal Crescent (a must see). You have a beautiful view of Bath from the crescent and you can even relax in the park if you've had a bit of a food coma. There is a mini golf course in Victoria Park and they sometimes have fairgrounds and outdoor cinemas so it is 100% worth a visit if something is on!


5. Erm....shop?
Bath has a LOT of shops. From all the high street chains to beautiful independent stores, there is no shortage of windows to browse. You can get so many unique, one of a kind pieces in the independent shops that a worth the extra for sure.


6. Visit the fashion museum
Yes, you heard right - the Fashion museum! You can get a joined Baths/Fashion museum ticket if you want (just saying). The museum is in The Assembly rooms - which is also worth a visit because the rooms are beautiful - and has a few exhibits to see. Currently there is fashion through the ages where you see the development of fashion over the years (SO interesting). There is also an exhibit dedicated entirely to lace which I spend too much time in. The best bit? They have period clothing for you to try on including bonnets and corsets in a really wide range of sizes! It's worth going just to try the dresses on tbh.

7. Visit Alexandra Park
Okay, this one isn't for the faint hearted. You've got to hike up a massive hill to get there (bring drinks and snacks) but if you do, you'll have an amazing view over the city. For those who aren't afraid to climb, you won't regret it at all. Grab a drink from a local coffee shop (Society has great coffee) and a slice of cake to treat yourself once you make it to the top.



8. Pop into Bath Abbey
I couldn't finish this post without mentioning the Abbey. It is absolutely stunning and open to visitors a lot of the time. You can wander around, admire the stained glass windows and enjoy the quiet. You'll just be in awe of the beauty.


9. Visit a local pub
Bath is known for its ales and the west country for it's cider so you know you'll find a good beverage. There are loads of pubs and some even have their own breweries to tour. There is lots on offer that you probably will struggle to find anywhere else so you could at least try one. If you don't like beer, don't worry. There are loads of cocktail bars too and I've not been to a bar that doesn't sell cocktails yet. You'll find something I'm sure.

I hope you enjoyed this compilation of stuff to do in Bath. I'd say places to visit but a lot revolve around food (priorities!). Bath is beautiful, super chilled and beautiful to wander around. Obviously this isn't an extensive list but will get you started for sure!

Have you been to Bath and have any more suggestions? Are you visiting any time soon? Let me know!

Rachael

10 comments :

  1. I live in Exeter and I traveled to Bath once, I thought it was beautiful! It truly was the prettiest, historic citites I visited! <3

    with love, Bash   |   HEY BASH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a beautiful city - I'm so lucky to live here!

      Delete
  2. What an amazing place to live! I really would love to visit there one day! You are so lucky to get to explore around there whenever you want! Thanks so much for all the recommendations!

    Rebecca
    www.winnipegstyle.ca/blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries lovely! Bath is seriously a must see!

      :)

      Delete
  3. I'll definitely put Bath on my list, I'm reading Les Mis right now so that was such a coincidence. There's a Boston Tea Party in Birmingham too, I've never been but I heard they do great pancakes x

    Velvet Blush

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That really is! Boston Tea Party are always worth a visit. The two in bath are beautiful to look at - so many plants and high ceilings!

      :)

      Delete
  4. I've never been to bath but it looks so beautiful. I love that the Roman baths are right opposite Primark; when I read that, I had this image in my head of my Nan visiting the baths and complaining about how there's a Primark right in front of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a funny image! You can't see it when you're inside (I don't think) but it makes me chuckle every time I visit.

      :)

      Delete
  5. Ahhh I'm so jealous - I would absoloutely love to visit Bath and have been dropping hints to my other half for ages now! I never knew about Boston Tea Party so am most definitely bookmarking your post!

    Musings & More

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah keep dropping them! It's so beautiful here! I'd try and visit in the spring if I were you. Slightly cheaper hotels, cherry blossom everywhere and plenty of seats outside to drink coffee!

      :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! I appreciate every single one of them and will get back to them as soon as I can :)