STUDY // New Semester Goals

Thursday 1 October 2015

Hey there!
My last year at university has officially started. How?! Whilst I have been freaking out a little bit recently, I have decided that some things are going to change this year. I know, I'm probably not the first or last person to say this but I really do mean it. There's so much I want to do and I always make excuses but you don't know how much you can get done until you do it. It's tough having 4 months off but, hopefully, once I sit in my first lecture I'll be bright eyed and bushy tailed for the entire year!


READING
I'm absolutely awful for not doing my course reading. So many things end up piling up and reading is the first thing to go. Whether it be text books, articles or just reading through my notes before a lecture and doing a few annotations, I just want to feel more prepared for lectures.

TIME MANAGEMENT
I seem to spend abnormal amounts of time on assignments that should take 30 minutes. I really want to organize my time more successfully so I have time for more extra curriculars. Not only do I have courses and my research project to do, I also have commitments to the society I'm in the committee for. If I don't manage my time well, how am I meant to have the time to do fun things to help me relax.

MAKE HEALTHY CHOICES
I have put on a serious amount of weight these past months and my bad eating/exercising habits need to be stopped. Once it's just me I have to worry about feeding I'll be able to eat what I want to. I also intend on exercising multiple times per week. 2 hours of ballet and 1 hour of body combat a week should be a good start but I'd like to find the time to exercise at least 3 times a week if possible.

COMBAT STRESS
I get stressed very easily and, when I do, my body really suffers. From limp hair to dry skin and tiredness, stress really rears it's ugly head in a big way for me. I'm really going to try and keep on top of everything, know when to say yes/no, and finally get in control of my life.

BUDGETING
I am absolutely awful at budgeting. I have a shopping and coffee issue which costs an absolute fortune. From bringing coffee satchets to campus and lunch 5 days a week, I'm really hoping to spend less on campus. Now that there isn't a reasonably priced Starbucks, no Subway or pizza place, hopefully this will be easier than last year!

CAREER
I guess this is actually more of figuring out what I want in life. Once I start my research project hopefully I'll begin to really know if a PhD or graduate scheme is more for me. I'm also interested in science journalism so hopefully in the coming months I'll really start to get a feel for what I want to do in life. A girl can always hope!

Have you got any goals or resolutions for the new semester or ideas to help me out with mine? Let me know!

19 comments :

  1. These are all goals I can relate to! I'm just starting my MA this year and really want to make sure I stay on top of everything and stay organised because in my last year things definitely seemed to slump mid-semester. Budgeting is something I'm awful at too, and with no student loan this year I really need to keep financial things in check :) x
    Charlotte's Road // Beauty, Fashion + Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so easy to just let things slip! I'm trying my hardest to feel super organized and feel guilty for having evenings off but I've realized that I have just gotten everything done. It's such a strange feeling. Good luck with everything!

      :)

      Delete
  2. Good luck with your last year of uni! All I can is that it will absolutely fly and even though it'll probably feel like the toughest year of them all you WILL get through it. And what you want to do for a career will come to you and fall into place so don't worry about it until it does. You seem like the sort of person who is disciplined to achieve all your goals so good luck with them all but I have faith in you!
    Rebecca | The Two Twenty Somethings
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much lovely! It's such a weird feeling knowing I won't be here next year. I hope it all goes to plan - that's for sure!

      :)

      Delete
  3. last year! wow, good luck :)

    theleeday.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think these are all admirable goals! And hopefully ones which will go well once you are in a routine right. I loved my last year of uni so hope you will enjoy it! x

    Jasmin Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely! I'm hoping it goes well - so far so good!

      :)

      Delete
  5. So jealous of you going into your third year.. You'll have the best time! Good luck!

    Charlotte x
    http://shillysossage.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a reasonable and manageable list as well. Hope you make this last year your best year.

    Rae | Love from Berlin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck on your last year, Rachel! It's going to be so exciting! I think with everything, above all we have to manage out stress. It's going to be one hell of a year, and I wish you all the best <3

    xx Bash | Hey Bash | bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely! It'll be tough but hopefully so rewarding!

      :)

      Delete
  8. Good luck with your last year, I have just started my first year - great post x

    Claire- www.claire-frances.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Good luck to you - first year will be an absolute blast!

      :)

      Delete
  9. This post is so relatable! I too struggle with so many things you've mentioned. But I think you shouldn't try to combat these problems all at once. I think focus on improving one or two things and be aware of the progress you're making because that'll make you more motivated to improve in other aspects. In terms of your career, I always tell myself this: When there's a will, there's a way :)

    I'm no expert but if you need someone to struggle with on this stuff, send me a message over at my blog and I'll happily listen/read!

    x

    www.theveravault.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a very good point - I think that's so important! I'm just hoping that everything will work out like it has so far!

      :)

      Delete
  10. This is such a good post, great things to work on - we especially need to focus on effective ways of combating stress :)
    Feel free to check out our latest post x
    LOOK LOVE WEAR

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I appreciate every single one of them and will get back to them as soon as I can :)