READ // Books for the Beach (Part 2)

Wednesday 16 July 2014

Hello my lovelies! Here is part two of my three part series of books to read on the beach. If you want a slightly more adult book I've included three in this post. I love a dystopian novel as much as the next girl but sometimes you just want to look a bit more classy and sophis (well as sophis as a girl reading chick lit can get!)  These are my best of the bunch!



The Luminous Life of Lilly Aphrodite - Beatrice Colin
I picked up this book in Edinburgh from The Works for the plane ride home. Chris was moaning at me always choosing, in his words, 'horrifically blah chick lit and ridiculous fantasy' books and forced me to get a historical book instead. It might help to note that he studies history (and graduated a couple of days ago. Congrats to him!). Anyway, I was a bit dubious about this book. It was unlike anything I've read before because historical books just bore me. Even more, it was about pre-war Germany and I just get flashbacks to GCSE History and that is a place I do not want to go back to. Anyway, I was so wrong. This book is a masterpiece. It follows the life of orphan Lilly Aphrodite who, from a very young age, you could tell was something special. She goes to hell and back and meets all sorts of people and this book is just wow. Once I actually got into it (about 1/4 of the way in) I couldn't put it down. It is a beautiful piece of writing, with a few saucy scenes, and an absolutely brilliant book. If you want to read something a little historical then I would recommend this. There is so much going on, there is no point to get bored. 

Beautiful Creatures - Lulu Taylor
Have you ever wanted to live the life of a rich heiress? I sure have and did through this book. Two twins get their inheritance at the age of 21 and move to London. Isn't that living the life? After being hidden from society they are finally free to do what they want to do, when they want to do it. I laughed, I cried, I wished time and time again that I had the money they did and scorned them for every stupid thing they did. I know they have been hidden away but do you really accept candy from a stranger? No - you do not! This is chick lit at its finest and a really, really long book so it'll keep you occupied! I picked it up for £1.99 in Sainsbury's and it was definitely worth it.

The Time Traveller's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger
I absolutely adore the film with Rachel McAdams and Eric Bana. The book is just as good. You don't realise how much they have left out of the film until you read the book but it didn't ruin the film for me - I still love it. It is such a brilliant story and you really get to see how the relationship develops over time. I'm really tempted to read it again soon - it is that good. If you loved the film you will definitely love the book.

Everneath - Brodi Ashton
Okay, this is a young fantasy novel but the cover has an Elie Saab dress on it so I had to pick it up (I thought it had looked familiar. I use pinterest way too much!). In a world with an underworld called the Everneath where immortals feed on the emotions of humans, there is always that one person who doesn't fit the trend. It follows the story of Nikki who breaks down due to certain events (I'm not going to spoil it!) and makes plenty of stupid decisions (like they always do). With some very interesting (ahem...hot) characters and fighting for what is right it is a fantastic book with a very interesting plot. I couldn't put it down! If I wasn't at T in the Park when I was reading it I would have read it in a day. I loved it and have recently read the second in the series (which was also fab!). If you can get it cheap it is definitely worth a read.

So here is part 2! Have you read any of these books? Are you putting them on your 'to-read' list? Let me know!

12 comments :

  1. Great blog - I really need to start reading more, It's been a while since I've got into a good book !

    I'll leave the link to my page if you get the time to check it out- you don't have to but it would be cool if you could - Thanks!
    Emily - http://lilemilyjane.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely! Now is the perfect time to start reading - I always read so much more in the summer!

      :)

      Delete
  2. Ohhhhhhhh I needed some book recs, definitely giving them a go. The Luminous Life of Lilly Aphrodite sounds SO good!

    I want to read Paper Towns by John Green now. :]

    www.definitelymycupoftea.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fantastic! I loved Paper Towns - I'm not too keen on John Green but I did really love Paper Towns!

      :)

      Delete
  3. thanks for sharing. I have not read any of these books, but it could be a nice recommendation for me :)

    xx
    http://felishmichelle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always looking for new books too read, I never know what too choose! Definitely going to check out Everncath!

    The Velvet Black // UK Style, Beauty & Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely do it! It was a bit of a cheap impulse buy for me but such a good plot!

      :)

      Delete
  5. Great books, I am obsessed with reading right now, but all I have is a massive pile of university books I need to get through, good job I am studying fashion :D

    http://www.sarahprowse.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've constantly got a book with me right now just incase! I have to relearn my Maths for Chemistry book but I'd much rather read the final book of the TMI series (an hour of calculus a day is enough for me!).

      Delete
  6. These books sound like great reads. Now I've graduated I have a list of books to make my way through. Will add the The time travelers wife as I've watched the film and It would be nice to picture the story as the writer did.

    http://thelittlebigobsession.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on graduating! I've just finished 2nd year and still have 2 left! The Time Traveller's wife was a fantastic book - definitely worth a read!

      :)

      Delete
  7. I cried so much at The time travellers wife, I think I enjoyed the book more than the movie, but it's that always the way! I might have to make a stop at sainsburys because that book sounds like fun, but the historical book also sounds good, I like to read lots of different genres, but always end up with a chick lit as they're just nice and easy to read.

    Emma x
    Writing Essays With Wine

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I appreciate every single one of them and will get back to them as soon as I can :)